Minimum of 3 years’ experience
What we’re looking for
A talented wordsmith who can wear all kinds of writerly hats, from naming brands and products to penning brand narratives, writing for web and packaging, creating the right tone of voice, and putting strategy and ideas into words.
- at least three years’ experience
- a broad range of writing skills, from journalistic prose to headline-writing and writing for packaging
- demonstrative interest in consumer brands and branding
- a love of food, food writing, and our brands
- ability to prioritise without supervision, and switch between brands and tones on a sixpence
- flawless grammar, razor-sharp proofing and an eye for detail
- creativity, intelligence and great communication – the ability to present thoughts and ideas confidently
- a mind that sees the bigger picture, cuts straight through to the heart of a problem, and has the ideas to solve it
- be self-directed, great in a team, and take direction well
From brand creation work right through to the nitty gritty, you’ll be part of a small team consulting for challenger brands, helping them find their niche and their voice.
You’ll have strong ownership over your work, flexing your writerly muscles on everything from witty one-liners through to entire websites, emailers, press ads, point-of-sale bits and bobs, naming brands and products, and getting stuck into a fair bit of packaging as well. That means you’ll be comfortable not just directing tone of voice, but putting strategy and ideas into words, too.
Why work at big fish?
- We never creatively pitch and don’t believe in giving away work for free.
- We have excellent opportunities for progression so everyone has the chance to grow.
- We choose to only work with clients we respect, admire and whose products and services we’d consume ourselves.
- We’re dedicated to helping impact the climate emergency in everything we do.
- We’re working hard to develop the most effective approach to hybrid working – currently a split of home and our fabulous riverside office.
- Your birthday off, a week off in the summer, time off between Christmas and New Year, a day off for volunteering (on top of your holiday allowance!) and a company-wide profit share and healthcare scheme.
We offer flexi hours and virtual working
In addition to standard holiday we give everyone their birthday off and a day to work for their favourite charity, and we never ask people to work between Christmas and New Year. Last year we closed the whole company for a week in the summer so we could all go and have a relaxing time doing whatever we fancied. We’re going to do it again this year too!
Our vision, mission and values
- Our vision is to become globally respected for the advice we give and the results we achieve
- Our mission is to help start, transform and grow businesses that share our values and help positively impact the climate emergency.
- We value integrity, intelligence, creativity, kindness, a thirst for knowledge, bravery, independence, diversity, mutuality, people who speak truth to power, those who strive for better, and most importantly, people’s right to a happy, healthy work life balance.
Our mantra is…
Think big, dive deep, swim fast