Minimum of 10 years’ experience
Ok! Let’s face it, most job ads are total crap and not worth the pixels they’re written with. They all tell you the same old bullshit like…
“We’re an international brand, design and marketing consultancy that’s spent 30 years helping brave decision makers start, transform and grow highly successful consumer brands. We’re proud to be a BCorp and have won lots of awards”…and all that jazz.
And, yes, this job ad isn’t much different apart from, well, the fact that it’s actually TRUE!!
We genuinely are a nice bunch of people who are lucky enough to have some really, really good clients who not only make us look good, but are fun to work with and don’t chisel us on fees.
We’ve become quite spoiled over the years which is why we’re a bit picky about who we choose to work with. In fact, we’re so picky that we refuse to work with tossers, people who give us JFDI (just f’ing do it) briefs, people who ask us to creatively pitch and anyone who sells something dodgy. That’s why we choose to only work with clients whose products and services we’d use ourselves and who we respect, admire and who strive to use their business as a force for good.
Ok, so, what about our people?
Again, all job ads will tell you how fabulous their team is and how you need to be a highly capable, intelligent but down to earth human being who can help our clients identify and overcome their biggest challenges and then deliver tangible results quickly, creatively and cost-effectively. And yes, I know I’ve just written those exact words with the sole intention of making you believe that about us, but again, it’s TRUE!!
What we’re looking for
We’re after more than one Creative Director all of whom will work closely with Perry our Founder.
So, what’s this role and what would your job title be?
Full disclosure, we loathe hierarchy, big egos, job titles, the use of acronyms, corporate jargon and marketing bollocks. In fact, we’d go as far as to say, we actively shun anyone or anything that believes it’s ok to use the word “utilise” instead of “use” or “purchase” instead of “buy” etc, etc. When it comes to management theory, we consider ourselves the management equivalent of flat earthers! Yup! We’re all equal with a few people being more equal than others, but on the whole, everyone’s on the shop floor most days, sleeves rolled up, mucking in.
So, despite the job title of “Creative Director” you’d actually be one of a number of Creative Directors on the shop floor with the rest of us accountable and responsible for delivering awesome work that will blow consumers’ minds and make every client we work with the envy of their category.
You’d be working alongside other talented mortals including other Creative Directors, designers of all kinds and various multi-disciplined people. And yes, we know this is what every job ad says, but you will need superpowers to cope with the madness that is big fish. Our place is where process meets chaos and they make a baby called Creativity on a daily basis.
Now, enough about us, what about you?
We’re after makers who can manage, not managers who can’t make. We want people who DO more than they talk. As a Creative Director at big fish®, you’ll be expected to lead and guide your team effectively, then jump on the tools and show them how to do it, then jump into a meeting with a client and put them at ease about the fact the last round of amends they received didn’t have any of their feedback incorporated either because they gave some shite feedback or because someone just messed up.
You won’t be alone in your quest, don’t worry! You’ll be surrounded by other creatives, strategists, project managers, writers and commercial planners all of whom you’ll come to know intimately through pushing boundaries and ensuring that your creative solutions meet our clients’ business objectives.
For the sake of clarity, this is a full-time on-site role located in Chelsea, London. That said, we do have people who occasionally work from home one or two days a week, but mostly we are all in our riverside studios enjoying each other’s company.
- Must like dogs (cats a bonus)
- Must be hands on and have brand creation + transformation experience
- An over-communicator hell-bent on sharing, leading by example and obsessed with project management
- A proven track record in steering creative teams to deliver projects on brief, on time and within budget.
- Expertise in creating, transforming and evolving consumer brands (especially in food and drink)
- A strategic and creative thinker, ready to conjure up ideas on the spot and not afraid of looking silly!
- A degree or the equivalent in a related creative field that has led you to a career as a creative director in our world of branding
- A go-to-guru in creative software, particularly Photoshop and Illustrator. Video skills? that’d be nice!!
- A seasoned pro in art direction for both still and moving image work
- An utterly charming individual who can give and take feedback without conflict or sulking!
🚀 But most importantly of all…
passionate person who tends to put others first…
This is not a role for the feint hearted. We relentlessly pursue better on behalf of consumers, our clients and the planet which means this is a fast paced job for someone who REALLY wants to make a difference and go the extra mile every time.
- Creatively directing projects
- Leading your project team
- Delivering commercial as well as creative success
- Relentlessly pursuing better on behalf of the planet
Why work at big fish?
- We never creatively pitch and don’t believe in giving away work for free.
- We have excellent opportunities for progression so everyone has the chance to grow.
- We choose to only work with clients we respect, admire and whose products and services we’d consume ourselves.
- We’re dedicated to helping impact the climate emergency in everything we do.
- We’re working hard to develop the most effective approach to hybrid working – currently a split of home and our fabulous riverside office.
- Your birthday off, a week off in the summer, time off between Christmas and New Year, a day off for volunteering (on top of your holiday allowance!) and a company-wide profit share and healthcare scheme.
We’re not clock watchers
In addition to standard holiday we give everyone their birthday off and a day to work for their favourite charity, and we never ask people to work between Christmas and New Year. This year we are closing the whole company for a week in the summer so we can all go and have a relaxing time doing whatever we fancy. We’re going to try and ensure we do this every year going forward.
Our vision, mission and values
- Our vision is to become globally respected for the advice we give and the results we achieve
- Our mission is to help start, transform and grow businesses that share our values and help positively impact the climate emergency.
- We value integrity, intelligence, creativity, kindness, a thirst for knowledge, bravery, independence, diversity, mutuality, people who speak truth to power, those who strive for better, and most importantly, people’s right to a happy, healthy work life balance.
Our mantra is…
Think big, dive deep, swim fast