London Studio Manager
Minimum of 7 years’ experience
Come and join our brand, design and marketing consultancy. We have a London office that’s on the hunt for a new Studio Manager. to help our team of talented, kind, amazing people create stunning work that will help change the world!
Our motto is “come for the work, stay for the people and the money will look after itself”.
That might sound like the salary isn’t important, but it is. We just put the work first because, when its great, everything else falls into place which means we can pay people above market salaries.
Since lockdown, we have adopted a hybrid working approach but also still have our amazing London riverside studio in Chelsea which has great views over the Thames. Our clients are fabulous too. Our rule has always been to only work with clients that we respect, admire and whose products we’d consume ourselves. As a result, we have some truly fabulous clients that are fun to work with and allow great work to happen!
We are an independent family business with a clear vision, mission and values. We’re dedicating our lives to trying to help start, transform and grow businesses that can be forces for good. We’re only just beginning but we will get there. As you can probably tell, we feel strongly about climate change and, because a lot of our work is in food and drink, we believe we can genuinely help fix some of the sustainability issues in our industry.
You may have realised by now that big fish® is a bit of a funny fish! We love our work, we have a great culture where we try our best to give people a really lovely working environment where everyone feels supported and safe. We don’t always get it right and aren’t afraid to admit it when we get things wrong. We believe in speaking truth to power and always doing as you’d be done by.
As our Studio Manager you would be responsible for planning, scheduling, organising and generally looking after our creative resources and the smooth delivery of the work. You’d be the day-to- day point of contact for Account Directors, Account Managers and senior stakeholders in the business.
This role is a really important one for our business. We need someone who is world class with people. Someone resourceful and proactive who can also spin plates and balance people’s professional and personal priorities with our clients’ needs.
You’ll need plenty of experience in problem solving. The word “impossible” won’t exist in your vocabulary!
Have a look at some of our work. We really do have an amazing company that was founded in 1994, and is still owned by the same family today. We are a staunchly independent business and plan to remain that way!
We’re more than a tad obsessed with improving the lives of our clients, each other, and the planet. We have applied to be BCorp and are awaiting approval of our application.
Interested? We’d love to hear from you. Why not fill in our form and let us know what your ambitions and dreams are and how we can work together to achieve those?
What we’re looking for
- Extensive experience in creative services and resource management in a busy studio and demanding business environment.
- Working knowledge of design, packaging, print and production processes in terms of required resources and timings.
- An in-depth understanding of how to both achieve and develop project briefs to achieve clients’ needs and successful design.
- To be organised with a keen eye for detail and analysis – nothing goes unnoticed by you.
- Strong leadership skills and an ability to motivate your team to include administration of annual and quarterly performance reviews.
min 7 years + experience
- Balancing and managing our creative resourcing schedule.
- Ensuring all briefs are allocated within the team according to the creatives’ skills and strengths, management of workflow in design, words, production and web.
- Ensuring all work is delivered promptly and to deadlines.
- Compiling studio schedules and utilisation reporting for senior management meetings.
- Project quality control and assessment, and review and analysis.
- Consolidating and prioritising client needs.
- Collecting timesheets promptly.
- Booking freelance resource, other specialists and trusted ‘big fish associates’ (experts in specific fields) when required.
- Running the administration of design team appraisals in support of design/creative leads.
Why work at big fish?
- We never creatively pitch and don’t believe in giving away work for free.
- We have excellent opportunities for progression so everyone has the chance to grow.
- We choose to only work with clients we respect, admire and whose products and services we’d consume ourselves.
- We’re dedicated to helping impact the climate emergency in everything we do.
- We’re working hard to develop the most effective approach to hybrid working – currently a split of home and our fabulous riverside office.
- Your birthday off, a week off in the summer, time off between Christmas and New Year, a day off for volunteering (on top of your holiday allowance!) and a company-wide profit share and healthcare scheme.
We offer flexi hours and virtual working
In addition to standard holiday we give everyone their birthday off and a day to work for their favourite charity, and we never ask people to work between Christmas and New Year. Last year we closed the whole company for a week in the summer so we could all go and have a relaxing time doing whatever we fancied. We’re going to do it again this year too!
Our vision, mission and values
- Our vision is to become globally respected for the advice we give and the results we achieve
- Our mission is to help start, transform and grow businesses that share our values and help positively impact the climate emergency.
- We value integrity, intelligence, creativity, kindness, a thirst for knowledge, bravery, independence, diversity, mutuality, people who speak truth to power, those who strive for better, and most importantly, people’s right to a happy, healthy work life balance.
Our mantra is…
Think big, dive deep, swim fast